Sunday 26 June 2011

Summer Fairs bring out the stars & other reporters

Today I covered a Summer Fair for a local Hospice.  As you would expect the local press also turned out and I got to talking to the other photographer about how he works and how he gets paid.  He told me all about taking redundancy from his staff job and then working for the same paper as a freelance photographer.  Now to my mind I would never give up a staff position, (it was after all Peter Parkers dream to get a staff role), the car, the hourly rate, the portfolio, what's not to like.  Now on the other hand, if he doesn't deliver the goods on EVERY job he just won't get another assignment.  What this means for me is that the guy is going to have very sharp elbows and is always going to vie for the best position.  Don't get me wrong he was a nice guy,  he was just making sure he got the shot.  I, on the other hand, always get the shot in a different way.  Make sure you get to know the subject and the people who are close to the subject.  People are best influenced by the people they are close to and trust....  And just as with 0any scene you can't control you only have a split second to get the right shot.  So shoot on burst and always make sure your composition can't be compromised by the guy with the sharp elbows.


Nikon D300s with Nissin Di866Jason Done Waterloo Rd
I did show the photographer this shoot....  He was a little green....

No comments:

Post a Comment